jeudi, mars 07, 2013

The Limits of Love

When I discovered last July that I really, really wanted to do a full Shakespeare play in English someday, I went searching for English-language theatre troupes in Paris and came upon the Tower Bridge Company, who produce an outdoor Shakespeare play in English every summer in the Bois de Boulogne. 

I was thrilled, and immediately signed up to be on the mailing list, as well as cheekily sending in my headshots and resumé.

A few days ago I received an email announcing their new production for 2013, "The Taming of the Shrew".  (No response regarding my resumé, though.  Sigh. I suppose that was aiming a bit high.) 

At dinner the other evening, I excitedly told Handsome,

"I got an email about that British Shakespeare troupe, and they're doing "The Taming of the Shrew" in the Bois de Boulogne in June!  In English!  It's going to be really cool!"

Handsome slowly took a sip of his wine, set the glass down and fixed me with a look of bemused tenderness.

"I love you," he said sweetly, "but I will not go see a Shakespeare play in English with you.  I have my limits."

He kills me.

In a good way. 

3 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

I randomly looked at your blog today and saw this...how great...I hope they have the sense to ask you to work with them somehow in the future. :-) I'd go with you if I could! Gros Bisous!! Jessica C.

Anonyme a dit…

Now I get it! I would go with you too!

Marquis Marc a dit…

Great anecdote about love. Can't wait to see Taming of the Shrew. :-)